March 2014: Our latest product, Jablite Invincible, helps address some of the problems commonly faced in designing and building flat roofs.
One of the biggest issues is drainage fall. It is worth remembering at the start that the consequences of a poor fall include:
• Algae and ice – both are slip hazards
• Organic growth – can cause root damage and obstruct drainage
• Increase the risk of damage to the insulation which could affect the thermal performance of the roof.
A minimum drainage fall of 1:80 is recommended by best practice guidance in BS 6229 and BS EN 12056-3:2000 and will:
• Minimise ponding
• Restrict build-up of rooftop debris
• Reduce maintenance costs
• Provide a longer and more effective working life
• Help compliance with Building Regulations and Best Practice Guidelines
There are three ways to create a drainage fall on a flat roof:
• Specify a bespoke-designed insulation
• Use screed
• A timber construction
A fall created with insulation has a number of benefits over the screed and timber option, insulation compared with screed to fall constructions:
• Places less loading on the roof structure
• Can be used with lighter roofing structures
• Require no drying time – reducing installation time and costs
• Can reduce the total roof construction height
Insulation compared with timber construction:
• Reduces the installation time and costs
• Offers easier and faster installation over a flat deck
• Allows the creation of long runs or falls
Jablite manufactures EPS (expanded polystyrene) insulation boards that are lightweight, easy to install with a bespoke design service. However, in discussion with roofing contractors, we were told that being unable to use a solvent adhesive with Jablite Insulation roof boards makes them a less flexible option.
Our innovations team had a re-think and we have developed a brand-new roof insulation product that we call Jablite Invincible.
Jablite Invincible combines EPS insulation, well-known for its lightweight, high thermal performance with a tough facing, bringing a completely new insulation option for flat roofs to the market.
Jablite Invincible brings a number of new benefits:
- Works with fully adhered membranes using solvent and PU adhesives, mechanically fixed single ply and cold applied bituminous systems
- Is resistant to damage Adds stability to the membrane above ensuring maximum performance and longevity
- Provides a layer of protection between the EPS thermal insulation and waterproof membrane.
- High compressive strength
- Excellent impact resistance
- Dimensionally stable
- Offers high performance thermal insulating properties
- Low water absorption
- The high strength facing provides protection to the insulation below it and extends the life of the roof system.
By combining two high performance materials in one product, Jablite has created a brand new insulation for flat roofs that brings all the benefits of a strong facing with the lightweight, cost effective thermal performance of EPS (expanded polystyrene).
Jablite Invincible has exceptional impact resistance properties – dropped tools or other similar objects will simply bounce of the board without leaving a mark on the insulation beneath.
- Jablite EPS 100E and 150E both achieve an A+ rating in the BRE Green Guide to Specification.
- Jablite Invincible has zero ODP (ozone depletion potential) and a GWP (global warming potential) of less than five.